- At the foot of the hill, there’s a garden, ____ owner seated there, playing chess with his guest.
- Like human beings, birds find their ways ____ (use) the sun and stars.
- The man seemed fairly talented, ____ he was a little dirty. They suggested him a shower first.
The man seemed fairly talented, ____ he was a little dirty. He was just what they wanted.
The man seemed fairly talented, ____ he was a little dirty. I told him that our thoughts create our reality, and I suggested that he not give up and think in a positive way.
- The dog may be a good companion for the old. ____, the need to take it for walks may be a disadvantage. （2012年高考天津卷第4题）
____ the need to take it for walks may be a disadvantage, the dog may be a good companion for the old.
- At last, the door of the office opened. The interviewee who had gone in an hour ____ came out, looking very pleased with herself.
- The book explains how animals and plants develop ____ the environmental changes.
The book explains how animals and plants develop ____ the environment changes.
- ____ more forests being destroyed, huge quantities of good earth are being washed away.
- Since the beginning of history, people have been using rivers for transportation. ____ transportation, rivers give water to drink, water for crops and chances for fun.
- ____ Elias, most black people in South Africa had little education and was worried about whether he would become out of work.
- Things ____ glass, paper, and plastic can all be recycled.
- -Have you seen the film Under the Hawthorn Tree?
-Of course. I have. It was in our village ____ it was made. (2011重庆卷）
- -Where did you get to know her？
-It was on the farm ____ we worked.
- -I prefer shutting myself in and listening to music all day on Sundays.
-That’s ____ I don’t agree. You should have a more active life.
- -I prefer shutting myself in and listening to music all day on Sundays.
-That’s ____ I don’t agree with. You should have a more active life.
- It must be hard for her, ____ (bring) up four children on her own.（牛津词典）
It must be hard for her ____ (bring) up four children on her own.
- They rushed to the booking office but ____ (find) that all the tickets had been sold out.
They rushed to the booking office only ____ (find) that all the tickets had been sold out.
- With nothing to do that night but ____ (wait), we went to sleep. (FORBES)
- Everyone should be able to do what they can ____ (make) their company bigger.（人教社必修一P73）
- I got to the office earlier that day, ____ (catch) the 7:30 train from Paddington. （2013年高考全国卷II）
- Recently a survey ____ (compare) prices of the same goods in two different supermarkets has caused heated debate among citizens.
- Active people are always looking forward to ____ (give) advice, while passive people are always looking forward to ____ (give) advice.
- This is the best way I have thought of ____ (solve) the problem.
- ____ (oppose) the plan, he came up with a new one.
____ (oppose) to the plan, he came up with a new one.
____ (oppose) to the plan makes him disliked by everyone.
- We have now reached the stage ____ I can give you more details. （NPR）
- Russia, France and the US are suggesting a first stage ____ would involve the withdrawal of Armenian forces.（BBC）
- The key to ____ (overcome) this problem is to believe in yourself.（2012年高考福建卷短文填词79题）
- ____ one of you breaks the window will have to pay for it.（2013年高考江西卷30题）
____ one of you who breaks the window will have to pay for it.
- This is a place ____ has become an established battleground over centuries. （BBC）
- Is there a cinema around ____ I can see a movie?
- The living room is clean and tidy, with a dining table ____ (lay) for a meal to be cooked.
The living room is clean and tidy, and a dining table ____ (lay) for a meal to be cooked.
- -Has Mr. Gilbert completed the report? -I don’t know, but I saw he ____ (write) it yesterday morning.
-Has Mr. Gilbert completed the report? -I don’t know, but I saw him ____ (write) it yesterday morning.
- It’s good news ____ there are still many things to do to ensure the Indian tiger has a successful future.
- It was April 29, 2011 ____ Prince William and Kate Middleton walked into the palace hall of the wedding ceremony.（2011年高考福建卷）
It was on April 29, 2011 ____ Prince William and Kate Middleton walked into the palace hall of the wedding ceremony.
- China’s approach to ____ (protect) its environment while feeding its citizens offers useful lessons for food policy makers worldwide.
- The decision ____ (make), what is to be done now is how to carry it out.
- It ____ (be) Sunday, many people go to the gymnasium to do physical exercises.
- -Did he know that 3 days ____?
-No, he said he had known that several months ____.
- Some perfect films ____ (produce) in the world during the past years.
- Everyone in our class was working hard and doing what we could ____ (admit) to a good college.
- He ran as fast as he could ____ (hope) to catch the early bus.
- He spent every minute he had ____ (practise) spoken English.
- He devoted every minute he had to ____ (practise) spoken English.
- He knows nothing about it, so he can’t help ____ (do) any of your work.
- While shopping, people sometimes can’t help ____ (persuade/talk) into buying something they don’t really need.
- All her time ____ (devote) to experiments, she has no time for films.
- All the preparations for the project ____ (complete), we’re ready to start.
- Such ____ (be) the case, I couldn’t help but give in to him.
- The purpose of new technologies is to make life easier, not ____ (make) it more difficult.
- The murderer was brought in, with his hands ____ (tie) behind his back.
- -Do you have anything more ____ (type), sir?
-No. You can have a rest or do something else.
- She took her son, ran out of the house, ____ (put) him in the car and drove quickly to the nearest doctor’s office.
- I got out of the taxi, ____ (pay) the fare and dashed into the station.
- Hearing the news, he rushed out, ____ (leave) the book ____ (lie) open on the table and disappeared into the distance.
- The old professor told us every part of the materials should be made use of ____ (build) the power station.
- The managers discussed the plan that they would like to see ____ (carry) out the next year.
- Who did the boss make ____ (wash) his car this time?
- You can never imagine what great difficulty I had ____ (find) your house all by myself.
- The theory he sticks to ____ (prove) to be of no use in our studies.
- Nothing that he suggested ____ (prove) to be of any use.
- _____ (follow) the road round to the right and you’ll find his house.
_____ (follow) the road round to the right, you’ll find his house.
- _____ (put) your hand over your mouth when you cough.
- He looked around and caught a man _____ (put) his hand into the pocket of a passenger.
- I would love _____ (go) to the party last night but I had to work extra hours to finish a report.
- Robert is said ______ (study) abroad, but I don’t know what country he studied in.
- Robert is said ______ (study) abroad, but I don’t know what country he studies in.
- The discovery of new evidence led to the thief ____ (arrest).
- He was reading his book, completely _______ (lose) to the world.
- Though ________ (lack) money, his parents managed to send him to university.
- Tony was very unhappy for _______ (not invite) to the party.
- He is a man of few words, and seldom speaks until _______ (speak) to.
- When I handed the report to John, he said that George was the person to send it ____.
- _______ (give) time, he’ll make a first-class tennis player.
- The lady said she would buy a gift for her daughter with the ____ (remain) 20 dollars.
- The lady said she would buy a gift for her daughter with the 20 dollars ____ (leave).
- Having a trip abroad is certainly good for the old couple, but it remains _______ (see) whether they will enjoy it.
- Her forehead _____ (feel) hot. I’m afraid she is ill.
- The story of his life _____ (sound) interesting.
- If time ____ (permit), I’ll come after the meeting.
- Time ____ (permit), I’ll come after the meeting.
- He kept a little notebook, in which ______ (keep) the names and addresses of his friends.
- If you want to sell your product you must _____ it.
A. advertise B. advertise for
- Neither of her parents wanted her to _____ him.
A. marry B. marry to C. marry with
- Neither of her parents wanted her to _____ him.
A. divorce B. divorce to C. divorce with
- How can I _____ you, Mr. Green？
A. contact B. contact with C. contact to
- According to the rules, students must not ______ their books during examinations.
A. read B. look at
- They have three dogs to look after, not to ____ the cat and the bird.
A. mention B. say
- -Do your parents agree to your doing that？
-Yes, of course. In fact, they always ______ me to try something new.
A. hope B. suggest C. encourage
- Nowadays everyone hopes to ______ a good education so as to get a good job in the future.
A. receive B. accept
- Wearing dark glasses can _______ your eyes from the sun.
A. protect B. prevent
- Mr. Smith was in great need of money, so he ____ $2 000 for his car.
A. paid B. took C. offer
- There are many new types of cars to choose _____, but I don’t know which to choose.
- -We have sent out two best players to the sports meet. What about you？
-Well, not yet. We have few ____, I’d say.
A. chosen B. to choose C. to choose from
- When she came several days later, she found that all things still ____ where she had ____ them.
A. lay; laid B. laid; laid
C. lay; lain D. lying; lain
- He _____ (pay) a visit to the factory and was warmly _____ (welcome) by the workers there.
- We’re so busy that no one in the office can _____ (spare) for any other work.
- -Do you know that Jack ______ a postman for about six years？
-Yes, I see.
A. has become B. has been
- The thing that ______ (matter) is not whether you fail or not, but whether you try or not.
- -Will another fifty be enough？
-Just twenty will ______.
A. work B. do
- Goodbye, Mr Carter — my secretary will _____ you to the door.
A. lead B. show
- This kind of desease can be cured, ____ (provide) it is caught early.
- My worst fears were _____ when I saw what the exam questions were.
A. done B. realized
- If you lend me a pound, it will _____ me having to go to the bank.
A. help B. save
- They found all the lost documents ____ one.
A. save B. saving
- He has spent little time on his lessons this term, so he _____ to fail the exam.
A. expects B. hopes
- She was so angry and spoke so fast that none of us understood ____ he said meant.
- Someone is ringing the doorbell. Go and see who ____ is.
- Don’t you know, my dear friend, ____ it is your money not you that she loves？
- Mary couldn’t make herself ____ (pay) attention to because her classmates made so much noise.
- Was it through Mary, ____ was working at a high school, ____ you get to know Tom?
- He transplanted the little tree to the garden ____ it was the best time for it.
- ____（除了）a broken chair, the room is empty.
- ____（除了）there is a broken chair, the room is empty
- I want to go, except ____ I’m tired.
- The exam went pretty well, except ____ I misread the final question.
- He wrote a lot of novels, none of ____ translated into a foreign language.
- Mr. Smith is a painter, ____ I should also like to be.
- After ____ seemed like hours, he came out with a bitter smile.
- He was so angry at all ____ she was doing ____ he walked out.
- -When shall we meet again?
-Make it ____ day you like; it’s all the same to me.
- Few pleasures can equal ____ of a cool drink on a hot day.
- Shirley _____ (write) a book about China last year, but I don’t know whether she has finished it.
- Mrs Brown was much disappointed to see the washing machine she ____ (have) repaired went wrong again.
- The news about the terrible flood in the area greatly discouraged us ____ going there for a sight-seeing.
- Shortly after the accident, two ____ (dozen/score) policemen were sent to the spot to keep order.
- Sean received cards from ____ (dozen/score) of local well-wishers.
- Besides Tom, ____ Crosettes have two other sons.
- Besides Tom, the Crosettes have two other sons, ____ of whom is interested in engineering.
- Besides Tom, the Crosettes have two other sons, none of ____ is interested in engineering.
- Besides Tom, the Crosettes have two other sons, none of ____ interested in engineering.
- It is a rule in his family that ____ comes home earlier should cook dinner for the family.
- Mrs. Green wants to buy that kind of cloth because she has been told that the cloth ____ (wash) very well.
- Let us not waste ____ little time we have left.
- -What was the party like?
-Wonderful. It is years ____ I enjoyed myself so much.
- ____ he does it personally, a man does not know the difficulty of anything.
- Don’t be angry ____ me for not having written it. I was really too busy.
- In those days, we had no phones, so we have to keep in touch ____ writing often.
- We all regarded the poor old man ____ sympathy.
- ____ with any common sense can tell the difference between the two.
- ____ has any common sense can tell the difference between the two.
- -Would you like a cup of coffee or a glass of beer?
-____ will do, but milk is the most popular with me.”
- Her lecture was hard to follow because she kept jumping from one subject to ____.
- There are four bedrooms, ____ with its own bathroom.
- -It’s said that he is a wise leader.
-Oh, no, he is ____ but a wise leader.
- He is a hard-working student, ____ who will be successful in whatever career he chooses.
- Some friends tried to settle the quarrel between Mr and Mrs Smith without hurting the feeling of ____ but failed.
- Mr Ascot, headmaster of the school, refused to accept ____ of the three suggestions made by the Students’ Union.
- but, tough, though
- However, Though/Although
- with, as
- bringing, to bring
- found, to find
- to make
- having caught
- giving, being given
- to solve
- Opposing, Opposed, Being opposed
- Whichever, Any
- laid, has been laid
- was writing, writing
- when, that
- having been made
- ago, before/earlier
- have been produced
- to be admitted
- do/to do
- being persuaded/being talked
- to make
- to be typed
- to build
- Follow, Following
- to have gone
- to have studied
- to be studying
- being arrested
- not having been invited
- to be seen
- were kept
- paid, welcomed
- be spared
- what what
- who, that
- Except for
- Except that
- that, that
- was writing
- had had